Frequently Asked Questions
How many years of experience are required to apply?
- One year of experience (beyond orientation) as a registered nurse in a critical care area such as SICU, Neuro ICU, CVICU, CCU or Trauma
- Do you require the GRE and if so, what is the minimum score required?
- Yes, the GRE is required. We do not have a minimum score requirement at this time. We are currently collecting data to calculate a minimum score at a later date. The GRE is waived for applicants who have earned a master's or doctoral degree from a regionally accredited college or university in the United States.
- Is a BSN required?
- A minimum of a baccalaureate degree in nursing OR a licensed Registered Nurse with a baccalaureate degree in a related field of science is required to apply. If your baccalaureate degree is not in nursing, you must have at least 15 semester hours of biophysical sciences beyond the basic nursing degree.
- What is your class size?
- Our program is designed for all students beginning in the same year to take all courses together. Currently, we accept up to 72 students per year.
- Do the students choose their regular clinical sites?
- No. The Clinical Schedule Coordinator, in conjunction with the Program Administrator, makes the schedule for all students. We currently have 17 clinical sites where students do rotations. However, the Senior Elective which is the last quarter of the program is selected by the student. There is a list of hospitals in the catalog that have participated in the Senior Elective program in the past.
- Are on-line classes available?
- Master of Science Degree offers no online courses.
- What is the average GPA of applicants that are accepted?
- The average cumulative GPA of accepted applicants is 3.4.
- What transcripts are considered when you apply?
- The Screening Committee requires transcripts from ALL academic work since high school.
- Will I have to travel out-of-town for clinical sites and if so, for how long?
- Yes. We currently have regular rotation sites in Lawrenceburg, TN, Columbus, OH that are 1–3 month rotations. (Students do not rotate through all sites)
- Is the tuition higher for out-of-state applicants?
- No. Everyone pays the same tuition.
If I already have a master's degree, do I have to take all of the classes?
- Yes. All of our classes are anesthesia related and are required.
Do I have to be a member of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to attend MTSA?
No. On average, less than 10 percent of the students in any given class are members of the Seventh-day Adventist Church. However, MTSA does maintain a Christian perspective and blends this into campus life and it's programs. This perspective is very much a part of who we are and what we about. You will be interested to know that we have or have had students from nearly every religious background go through the program.